13 August 2009

Categorical joke

I thought up a joke about category theory,
though it's extremely bad!

There once was a poor endofunctor called Endo. Endo was so poor he
couldn't afford to undertake any more natural transformations, so he had
to borrow money from a loan shark.

But poor old Endo was sooo poor, he couldn't pay the money back! He got
more and more in debt to the loan shark until one day the loan shark
came over to his house to demand his dues.

So the loan-shark banged on the door and shouted "Hey you FUNCTOR! Give
me back my cash!".

"But I can't! I can't give you anything back!", cried the poor
endofunctor, from the upstairs window.

"And why not? You'd better give me the money" the loan shark asked.

"But I can't give you anything" moaned Endo, as he began to weep,
"Because I'm not co-pointed!"

(However, at this point in the joke, the loan shark was no longer needed
so he was garbage collected and Endo lived happily ever after.)

No comments:

Post a Comment