7 January 2010

Facebook apps

In December I joined the ranks of facebookers. Normally I hate that sort of thing but, hey my friends have it and it makes it easy to speak to them.

However, as you may be aware, there exists on facebook various mechanisms whereby programmers can write apps, which interact with facebook. After I realized how popular these apps were, my cynicism drive engaged, pound signs filled my eyes, and drool began to pour from my mouth. I could make some money here, thought I, for I have but tuppence!

So I have learned how to speak to facebook. My progress wasn't entirely without mistakes.

This story applies:
Being a proper nerd, I'm not afraid of fucking around in a library's internals. So when I realized the haskell client library was out dated, I plunged and made it support some newer methods.

However, I didn't realize it would be much simpler to just use javascript, until this morning. So uhhh, yeah, that was a bit of a waste of time. But still, all good in the process of figuring out the easiest way.

Anyway, I use haskell (predictably) and happstack. I run within an Iframe, and use facebook connect for API calls.

I think that's the easiest way!
Anyway, this is the really simple word game I made: uncensored originality

Now, since I have less to learn, I am going to make a more complex game! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment